Directly Affected means
- you have COVID-19
- you are in isolation
- you have self isolated
- you are caring for somebody who is affected by COVID-19
What happens if you can work but there is no work to be had is less clear! You can find more about how it is if you not directly affected here
Summary of new measure for those affected by COVID-19
SSP (Statutory sick pay) if you have COVID-19 or are required to isolate and is paid from day 1
SSP if you are caring for others affected by COVID-19
NHS 111 will be able to provide evidence if you need to isolate
Rules around Universal Credit and ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) have been changed to make it easier to apply.
New ESA claims payable from day one if you have COVID-19 or are required to isolate
If affected you can apply for Universal Credit and receive a months advance without attending a jobcentre. Universal Credit helpline
Telephone: 0800 328 5644, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
Minimum Income Floor removed from self-employed claimants on Universal Credit who are affected by CORVID-19.
How to make a claim
The government website has a page dedicated to making new claims.
The nidirect website has information here on how to claim ESA
The nidirect website has an online process for claiming UC
Getting Help With Your Tax
Special measure have been introduced to help with tax that include:
- options to pay by instalments
- suspend debt collection proceedings
- cancel penalties and interest.
A special help line has been set up. The number is 0800 0159 559 and the opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 8am to 4pm, except Bank Holidays.
- Gov – guidance for those affected by COVID-19
- Gov – information about claiming benefits if affected by COVID-19.
- nidirect – detailed information about universal credit
- Citizians advice – COVID-19
- Citizians advice – general information on Universal credit
- Legislation – The Statutory Sick Pay (General) (Coronavirus Amendment) Regulations 2020
- British Business Bank Coronvirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme CIBILS
- Money advice service – introduction to UC